This spontaneous recipe idea turned out so good my boyfriend brought me Lasagna sheets the next day and said I needed to make it again haha. The best part is that it’s really healthy -especially if compared to “normal” lasagna. It contains only a fraction of the fat traditional lasagna would have and is incredibly tasty without the need of any cholesterol and saturated fats.
[recipe title=”Pumpkin & spinach lasagna” servings=”4 servings” time=”1 hour” difficulty=”easy” description=”Nothing screams COMFORT FOOD more than lasagna, am I right?.”]
To be honest my kitchen is not-so-well equipped when it comes to spices. Italian herbs are lacking the most. So for this recipe I just used a “pizza spice“. However you could use typical lasagna spices: oregano, fennel seeds, basil – be creative & experiment!
- Lasagna sheets (I couldn’t find whole-grain so I bought spinach lasagna sheets)
- 1/4 Hokkaido pumpkin (1/2 if it’s a small one)
- 1 cup water
- 200g spinach
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 canned tomatoes
- 200g cashews
- juice of 1 lemon
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Spices (Italian herbs, pepper, salt)
- Wash the veggies and chop up the pumpkin and bell pepper. Remove excess water from the spinach by using a salad spinner.
- In a pan combine 1/2 cup of water and the pumpkin chunks and stew them for about 10 minutes.
- Add your spices: pepper, oregano, fennel seeds, basil. Then add the bell pepper. (You could also stew an onion with the pumpkin – but I don’t like onions.)
- Blend the cashews, 1/2 cup of water, lemon juice and nutritional yeast until you get a creamy consistency. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Stir in 3 tbsp of the cashew cheese and add the canned tomatoes to the veggies. Once the veggies are cooked start by placing a lasagna sheet in an ovenproof dish. Then distribute 2 tbsp of the veggies on top. Alternately layer lasagna sheets and veggie filling until you’ve filled up the baking dish. End with a lasagna sheet and add one last tbsp of the veggies. For the final touch spread the cashew cream on top.
- Bake the lasagna for 25-30 minutes, top with chives and enjoy!
Creating this recipe was so much fun and it took less time than I had expected. I’ll definitely make lasagna more often now. Let me know if you try and like this recipe.
Take care & lots of love,
Niki (@nutriousniki) ❤️